Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Thankful Day 13: A Virtuous Woman

I have a confession.
I blog from the tub.
There. I said it.

And now that my dirty (yet clean) secret is out, on with tonight’s topic!
Just sit right back and you’ll hear a tale...
(How many of you just started singing the Gilligan’s Island song to yourself? If so, guess what. You’re old.)

Anyway, my tale isn’t about a shipwreck, a nerdy leader, a sleazy actress, or a doofus in the world’s whitest, tightest pants. (How DID he keep those so clean with all that sand about?) Sigh. I digress...

My tale is about…

Some crazy, nutty, witty lady who is so unique she could be her own sitcom.

Yesterday while reading my many Facebook friends’ status updates, I came across one from my mother. In this particular post she happened to refer to her friends as her “peeps”.

Yes, folks, I too was stunned that my mother would even know what the term means, much less use it in a Facebook shout-out…

Let’s just say I am still laughing.

Ah, yes. My Mother… who has coined many a bizarre phrase, who calls me at 11:00 p.m. on a work night just to ask me if I know what IHOP stands for, who sends me a half-used bag of pancake mix in the mail
                        who never lets me forget that I’m a blonde
                                                   insists that she is still taller than me
             posts humiliating (albeit a-dorable) pictures of me for all my friends to see
And calls me to teach her how to “copy and paste”…

My Mother… who never lets me forget that I was wanted, who lets me call her at 11:00 p.m. to ask what "straws were made from before plastic was invented", who can actually answer the aforementioned question, who never forgets to send my kids gifts and cards on EVERY holiday, who still calls me Jo Jo (yeah, you heard me), who was there for the bad and here for the good, who calls me nearly every day just to “chat”, moves in with me for 2 months because I am afraid I'll forget where I put my new baby, respects my individuality, encourages me, inspires me… loves me unconditionally.

                     
Thanks mom, for showing me what an honorable woman should be.

So this tub-blogging tribute is for you, my mom, my friend. Someday I hope to be half the mom you are... and twice as tall.

I love you…. More.










Dixie K Eyring Williams, 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment