Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thankful Day 9: "Boring" is a Blessing

It's becoming a habit... my slacking. I'll have to play catch up on day 10 tomorrow because my bed beckons.

Actually I promise I have a super good excuse for my lack of prompt postings. Here's a riddle for you: What does a broken back, a severed finger, and a yard teeming with angry police have in common?

They were all key elements that made up our craptastic night last night...

So I'd like to start this off with
Thankful Thought #9: Boredom.
Yes, people. I am thankful for boredom. That thing so many of us complain about
and too often take for granted... Let me explain.

Picture it: Wisconsin Rapids, 5:10 p.m. last night. Harrison, Bubba, and Bear all decided to take a shower after a very messy pizza dinner. Myself, I had just stepped out of a bath after trying to soak off a debilitating back injury that has plagued me for a year now and popped up randomly to greet me Sunday night...

5:15 p.m.
Harrison screamed for me from downstairs, a type of scream I have never heard before (and pray to never hear again). You know the SCREAM that sends chills down your spine? Yeah, that was the one. I hurtled my mangled body down the staircase not wasting time getting dressed and found Harrison kneeling over Bear gripping his tiny hand and wrist tightly. He told me we had to leave for the hospital because Bear's finger was cut off.
        
                  Yes folks, he really said that to me.

In my mad panic I threw a Pull-Up and sweater on Bubba, grabbed a pair of dirty sweatpants and a sweater for myself ("forget the underwear, forget the shoes", I thought...) and we all raced half-dressed and barefoot through the rain and the muddy front yard and piled into the truck.

Mario Andretti had nothing on me for the next 2 miles as I dodged and weaved through traffic with my hazard lights screaming for people to move.

At the emergency room we were a bloody, barefoot, mud-covered, and bawling sight as we stumbled into triage waiving the gnarled and gruesome hand of our infant for all medical personnel to see.

Long story short:
There was wailing,
               gnashing of teeth,
                        vomiting,
                               dizziness,
                                       and enough tears to fill a pool...
And after I finally calmed down, Bear the Trooper was given a blessing from his Daddy and Uncle Chris, four stitches to reattach the side of his finger, and mom was given a sedative...

My husband's quick thinking and reacting helped keep the injury stable, and minimized the damage. I'm glad he has a level head because it is painfully obvious that I don't...

Now you'd think our night of drama would have ended with stitches, bandages, and pain killers...
        
but you'd be wrong.

Upon our arrival home, our neighbors decided it seemed like a good night for a domestic dispute that made Mel Gibson's antics look like a cat fight. Long story short... again, Harrison to the rescue as one sobbing neighbor ended up in a heap on our porch, while the other yelled obcenities across the yard. Upon the arrival of the police, our "helpless heap-of-a-neighbor" decided it would be prudent of her to make a break for our back yard and find a hiding spot rather than risk being hauled to the Pokey...
      With a bit of questioning, the police determined she'd gone "Charlie Sheen" in her house destroying most of the contents after going on a Lindsay Lohan inspired bender. She is now property of the Wood County corrections department...
(And I think I'm going to lay off the celebrity tabloids for a while.)

Let's just say that after a night like last night, I am so thankful for boring and uneventful evenings in our house even more now than ever.

5 comments:

  1. Honestly , Randa...you should really be a professional writer!! So so sorry for the pain, the blood, the tears and the drama.

    Hope you're better soon. Is your back REALLY broken???

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is, it's an old break that they can't really fix, so I just work around it :) 90% of the time I feel fantastic! So it's all about timing here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly we're not sure! I went in and had it xrayed a few years back and there was the break. Who knows!!

    ReplyDelete