I am thankful for insomnia.
Now don't go calling me crazy quite yet... save that until you read a bit further. Most mothers - sane ones - anticipate and welcome bedtime. For both themselves and their children.
Especially for their children.
I am typically no different. I love bedtime. I LOVE sleep. Long, luxurious, uninterrupted naps tucked deeply into the warm folds of my blankets, my eyes lazily and effortlessly closing as I drift into beautiful places of relaxation and carefree unconsciousness...
So imagine my elation when tonight my family and I decided to opt for an early bedtime, after a week-long succession of very late nights and early mornings.
I am proud to say that by 8:00 p.m we were all scrubbed, brushed, buffed, polished, and squeeky-clean, tucked into our respective and cozy sleeping locations.
For this to make sense, I need to explain how our "respective and cozy" sleeping arrangements work. Let me start by saying we live in a comfortable, modest, four-bedroom home, of which only one bedroom is actually used for sleeping purposes... Yes, we have 3 beds all congregated in one (yes, one) room of the house. Awkward? Sometimes. Frustrating? More often than not.
Crazy? Yes, you now have permission to call me crazy.
But despite our best efforts and good intentions, at 11:30 p.m. all four of us were still up. Unable to sleep, we spent time together eating cereal, singing songs, dancing around the house, and cuddling. Apparently tonight we all have a case of the "can't sleeps"... but as tired as I am, I have to say that no amount of rest will ever compare to tonight's warm, happy, memorable four and a half hours of rare, but oddly welcome, insomnia.
Sleep... is occasionally overrated.


Well you definitely made the best of that situation! Good for you. Such a cute family.
ReplyDelete